This has to be the best setup to remove Berdan primers!

Discuss your favorite loads here.WARNING: USE ALL LOAD DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
MG34 Dan

15 Mar 2017, 19:17 #1

I just stumbled on this video showing a home made contraption to remove spent Berdan primers from rifle cases.  Simply stated, the key is to use an offset primer punch that fits into an empty case with the 0.8mm offset punch tip going though a flash hole to push the primer out.
http://www.youtube.com/v/Dz3_GcsUB4I&ve ... tube_gdata
This is the slickest setup I've seen to date!  The video's author is a genius.
Here is where the above video's author acquired the offset primer punch: http://www.frankonia.de/Berdan+Aussto%C ... ryId=62816
“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” – Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

The Dane

18 Mar 2017, 13:41 #2

The first time i deprime a case i chuck it in the lathe and "bore" out the primer bottom with a 4mm endmill.
The remaining rim is easily removed with a shaped file.
Lastly i enlarge the flashholes to 1,5mm and deprime as you described but with a homemade punch.

classicballistx

21 Mar 2017, 15:29 #3

Now that we know about a zillion ways to remove Berdan primers, can someone suggest a way to replace them? I'm having a helluva time finding those little round things that fit the holes in my 7.5 brass. Any ideas short of going to Canada?

MG34 Dan

21 Mar 2017, 17:14 #4

classicballistx wrote:
Now that we know about a zillion ways to remove Berdan primers, can someone suggest a way to replace them? I'm having a helluva time finding those little round things that fit the holes in my 7.5 brass. Any ideas short of going to Canada?
There is another Ewe-Toob video showing a custom primer remover.  It is also a nice solution: http://www.youtube.com/v/scieFHxVthA&ve ... tube_gdata
As for primers themselves; I saw another video that showed how to do it.  The person just pried off the anvil from a Boxer primer, but left the little piece of paper/cloth lying directly beneath the primer anvil in place.  He then simply placed the anvil-less boxer primers into the emptied Berdan primer pockets in the 7.5 Swiss brass.  When he pushed the primers into place, he made sure they were set flush to the base of the brass and no deeper.  To finish up, he inverted the newly primed cases in his loading block and used a very small amount of super glue around the primer rims.  I don't know why this step was done, but it was.  Maybe the Boxer primers were very loose in the Berdan primer pockets.  
“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” – Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Calibear

21 Mar 2017, 18:24 #5

These guys had the Russsian Tula berdan primers at one time, don't know if they still do.

http://dagammo.com/shop/

Best,
Ron
Last edited by Calibear on 21 Mar 2017, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

MG34 Dan

21 Mar 2017, 20:46 #6

I couldn't edit my post above to add this video. Here is the video showing how to remove the Boxer primer anvils and then placing them in Berdan primer pockets. The interesting part is around the 5:00 point, or so.

toolness1

22 Mar 2017, 14:21 #7

I'm not seeing a video in the OP or your second post, but I'm on the Tapatalk app on my phone.

I don't think Berdan primers have been imported for at least two years now. I thankfully got 7k of them from Grafs right before they stopped selling them.

I have a really slick hydraulic setup I made for GP11 depriming and also use a upside down die in my press to hold a case and made a tool to pry them out.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

toolness1

22 Mar 2017, 14:24 #8

I saw a post on a forum where a guy made a offset punch for Berdan depriming. He used a tiny drill bit as the pin and drilled an offset hole in some type of rod, then just pressed the pin in place.

I tried this method but anything small enough to fit thru the tiny flash hole was too weak to hold up for any length of time.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

warpspasm

26 Mar 2017, 12:55 #9

I don't understand why so many people have a hard time with the RCBS deprimer. I've been using one for a couple of years now and have deprimed hundreds of GP11 cases. It works fine. The key is to get the tool adjusted properly. I do suggest you buy additional tips for the tool because after time they do break.

EJunker

26 Mar 2017, 16:40 #10

Still, the hardest part about Berdan primers is what to do with that empty hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk