M-78 Vetterli with odd non-adjustable rear sight

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of the various models of the Swiss Vetterli Rifles and Carbines
KneverKnew

10 Apr 2017, 23:29 #1

I've bid on an M78 in an auction that looks to me as if it is in extremely good condition for its age. The only detracting feature is the original adjustable sight has been replaced with a non adjustable sight. The bid is only $80 currently. There is another M-78 on the same sight for auction that is in worse condition but has the original sight. It is going for quite a bit more. My question is, can an original adjustable rear sight be installed? Looks like original owner didn't modify the gun, just installed new sight in dovetail slot. 

Here is what I'm talking about. Please let me know if you have problems seeing them. I'm using Google pictures. Sorry if they are too big. 
Assuming this rifle is in as good a condition as it looks, and considering the rear sight, what do you think is a reasonable max amount to pay for it?

ImageImage
Last edited by KneverKnew on 10 Apr 2017, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Parashooter

11 Apr 2017, 00:09 #2

Certainly looks worth the bid as a "shooter" if you are prepared to enjoy doing a CF conversion and handloading ammunition. You can always search for an original M78 or M81 sight at leisure. Might take a while to find one. Should install in dovetail with no issues.

The sight currently installed looks well-made and probably solves the usual short-range P.O.I. problem nicely. (Issue sight normally shoots about a foot high at 100 yards on lowest setting with ammo replicating original ballistics.)

If your only interest is collecting, you might want to pass.

KneverKnew

11 Apr 2017, 13:56 #3

Thank you Parashooter for the reply. Yes, my main interest is having a shootable example of historic firearms. I have two K31's, one each beech and walnut. The Beech was "given" to me by a friend many years ago and I never respected it much due to the beat to hell look of the stock. The entire cheak rest is ground off. After reading about the K31's accuracy, I decided to give it a try. I was amazed at the accuracy of that "beater"....and hooked. So I finally found a decent example of a Walnut stocked rifle, and now trying to get into a Veterlli without too much expenditure. I am always looking for the best condition example I can get, in as close to original condition as possible. This particlar one looks very nice, compared to others I've seen people shooting on youtube, and those seemed to shoot quite well. I understand reloading is the only way, so there will be an initial cost to get dies and brass. I also realize the rear site was probably as you mentioned, a fix to the POI problem. I just wished the original sight was included in the package. Oh well.

So, if the bid starts going up (auction is tomorrow) what would you say would be a reasonable max bid to pay for this particular example? I have to also consider there is a 20% auction fee on top of the final bid price. Please give me an idea how high I can go without wasting my money on this rifle. The CF conversion will not be an issue.

Parashooter

11 Apr 2017, 17:19 #4

I don't know the current market, but I'd stop at $200 for that one myself. I paid $275 for my M78 in similar condition but complete - 15 years ago. I'd figure on spending $50 to $100 for a sight if one could be found. Numrich lists at $40 but none in stock.
I have two K31's, one each beech and walnut. The Beech was "given" to
me by a friend many years ago and I never respected it much due to the
beat to hell look of the stock. The entire cheak rest is ground off.
A worn K31 comb is a possible indication of dragoon (horse cavalry) service. Here's an example -
Such comb wear is likely from contacting saddle cantle in normal slung position, often accompanied by distinctive wear on left side of forearm and handguard from helmet contact -
Last edited by Parashooter on 11 Apr 2017, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Calibear

11 Apr 2017, 18:24 #5

As Parashooter stated, in order for the Vetterli to be a "shootable example" you will have to convert it to centerfire and reload for it.
Originally it was a rimfire. It would require you to drill a hole in the center of the existing bolt or get another bolt for the conversion.
There is lots of information here on how to do it and what you'll need.

Best regards,
Ron