Identifying original Swiss K-31 diopters?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin Series, the K31 series, and the 1893 Cavalry Carbine.
60CPT

14 Feb 2017, 18:51 #1

Greetings all,

I purchased a set of K-31 diopters from Simpson's today.  I tried to post a link to the item here, but I doesn't seem to work?

Anyhow, my question is this:  Is there a way to tell if they are original Swiss diopters?  I know there are chinese copies out there.  I have never seen the chinese version, and this will be my first set of diopters, so I have never seen an original swiss set either.

Simpson's says they are original.  But, I want to be sure as I do have a 3 day ispection.

Thank you!

60CPT

14 Feb 2017, 19:38 #2

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info. ... s_id=52099

Here is the link. Somehow it didn't want to post on the original message.

Pierre.theswissriflesdotcommessageboard

14 Feb 2017, 20:41 #3

Welcome to the SRDC, 60CPT! You do know that Diopters were never an issue item, and they were made by cottage industries? Wyss certainly isn't a cottage industry, but the word "original" doesn't mean much with Diopters. Both Germany and CH made them.
Carlos will be along with his link to a comparison page.
P

Enkelkinder über alles

60CPT

14 Feb 2017, 20:48 #4

Pierre,

Thank you for the reply. No, I did not know that. I had thought that Diopters were issued for target shooting.

What do you mean by Wyss? Is that the manufacturer?

My concern is that I want to be sure I am buying a quality Swiss or German made sight. I have been told that there are copies of these made in China. I do not want those.

The seller assures me they are original, but I don't know enough about them to tell if they are or are not! I hoping someone with experience here can provide their opinion.

Thank you!

60CPT

15 Feb 2017, 00:10 #6

Thank you Carlos.  I read the entire post.  Based off that information, I believe the sight I purchased may in fact be real, and not Chinese?  Do you have an opinion on it?  Thank you.

Carlos diaopter

15 Feb 2017, 15:25 #7

Show us pictures of what they actually send you.
I would be very surprised if Simsons would sell a copy as the real thing, since they buy from Switzerland and Germany. Mind you, over time some copies might creep into the european market.
Last edited by Carlos diaopter on 15 Feb 2017, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

60CPT

15 Feb 2017, 15:49 #8

Thank you Carlos.

I will try and post pictures once I receive the sights. You can click on the link I posted above to see the original photos Simpsons posted of the sight on their listing.

I should have it in a few days.

I hope it isn't a copy! But, from the information in the link you posted, it doesn't appear to have the same characteristics of the copies made in China.

bigbofo

16 Feb 2017, 07:51 #9

It is NOT a copy, believe me. Simpsons will not sell you copies!
Greetings from Switzerland!
Swiss Rifle Serial Number Database and Manufacturing Dates: http://www.swisswaffen.com

60CPT

17 Feb 2017, 01:33 #10

I received my Diopters today! Overall, they look pretty good. But, I have a few questions, and will make a few comments as well.

First, is there a proper way to install these? Do I need to remove the front sight blade from the rifle? It seems to touch the bottom of the clamp on front sight when installed.

Now for a few of my comments. I will have to learn to post pictures. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

The sights look good. The only problem I see is that the front sight eyepiece has damage to the knurling around it. It looks like someone took a pliers to it in attempt to loosen it. It is loose now, and has a post aperture installed. A wider post than the original sight by about two times over. I was surprised at that. Is there anywhere to buy an undamaged eyepiece?

Next, the sights came with a set of leather covers. They are original Swiss made. The snap buttons are marked "BRERO Suisse". The only marking on the rear sight is the W+F logo. The front sight has the W+F logo and two very small characters along the rear left leg above the clamp. I can't make out what they are for sure.

When I placed them on the rifle, at first I thought something was wrong. With the elevation and windage markings centered, I could not see the front post with the rear slider set to 1000m as per the instructions from the manual that have been posted here for the proper way to "get close" for 300m. I had to adjust the windage so that it is nearly touching the far right witness marking. The elevation is just below the center witness marking. But then I read again from post here and saw the photo Carlos posted of a rifle that was zeroed for 200m and saw that his witness marks lined up similar to mine. So I'm guessing that is just the way they need to be.

Overall, I'm excited and happy about the sights with the exception of the damaged knurling on the front eyepiece. It's too cold to go shoot the rifle here, but I will give them a try come a month or so. I think there is a Swiss shoot up in Pennsylvania near me that I may try and attend this year.

Now to learn how to post photos!