Caution: Gas Cutting on 1882 Ordnance Revolvers

This forum is intended for the discussion Swiss Rifles prior to the Vetterli series and Swiss Military Handguns.
NineteenEleven

19 Mar 2017, 23:03 #1

How much gas cutting is too much?
I think it's crucial for everyone to inspect their revolvers periodically.
This is a 1882 with a 3mm (.115") top strap.
I estimate the cutting to be .020 wide and .015 deep give or take 5 thousandths.
If I ever start shooting it I will monitor changes but I'll load light if I do.

I think the only good fix would be to remove the barrel and have it laser welded if it gets worse.

kragjorgensen

26 Mar 2017, 02:12 #2

I would NOT weld it, especially in such a critical area.
Older guns, as with older cars, should be used in moderation. The alloys and processing won't be as good or safe as (some) modern ones.
All wheelguns have top strap cutting. Be mellow in the ammo.
I recall the old IMHSA days, especially that "357 maximum." That was a top strap cutter!
I can't judge if this specimen has too much top strap eroded. You have a bit of alligator back cracking on the forcing cone too.

NineteenEleven

31 Mar 2017, 00:24 #3

Sob... I haven't looked at many but how many 1882's are in this condition? I didn't plan on shooting it much. Seems like someone liked shooting this one too much.

I've seen forcing cones welded and recut and I've seen torched top straps welded back up as well.

There's a youtuber named 1928a1tommy that does pretty good work and has stuff laser welded that looks pretty good. I just can't put anymore money in this. I'll just write it off as an expensive education that I wont soon forget. I don't know whether to keep this or try to get my money back out of it...

((BTW two people emailed me asking if I still need a front sight, please check your your spam folders. As of 3/2017 I do still need a front sight.))