1918 helmet in grey.....

This forum is for the discussion of the various items worn, used, or carried, by the Swiss Soldiers,
amafrank

03 Jun 2008, 02:12 #1

I picked up a number of swiss helmets last weekend with 3 1918/40 types painted in lumpy black, one is very rough and the other two look more like sand instead
of wood chips...there were also 2 M71's, one with the hanger ring and one without. There was also a paratroop helmet that I think is swiss, it looks nearly
identical to the brit helmet I got but is marked inside with a metric size. My brit helmet is 7 1/4 and dated 19 44. The one that has me baffled is a smooth
surfaced 1918 style helmet with full round liner band and a serial number with a large letter A above it. The baffling thing is the grey color and no sawdust.
There are no other markings I can find inside or out on the shell or liner. Is this a civil defense or railway helmet????

Thanks for any info

Frank in Indiana

Guisan

03 Jun 2008, 07:18 #2

Well the ones with the sand mix are M40/43 ones and the one with the saw dust is a M43.

Your M71 with ring is a M71/90.

The British paratrooper helmets were imported by the Swiss in 1948, the original ones (without te ventilation holes and with British liners) are listed as M42
for armoured vehicle crews and marked with a "M" inside they are for motorbike riders. The same type but Swiss made and with a Swiss liner are called
M48 and M48/62, none of these helmets were used by Swiss paratroopers those are using the french made Guéneau helmet.

Your grey helmet is a civil defence M18/36 one, the A indicates the shell size.

Guisan.Image

amafrank

03 Jun 2008, 15:05 #3

Thank you sir,

that was most helpful. I'll tag them so the next guy won't need to wonder...

Are the Civil defense helmets common or something special????

Thanks

Frank in Indiana

Guisan

03 Jun 2008, 15:12 #4

Well that older one in original condition is a bit more rare, the later aluminum M46 and yellow steel M40 civil defense helmets are more common.

Guisan.

eglib

03 Jun 2008, 19:03 #5

Frank - Photos please!

Bruce

Sanglier Matricule

04 Jun 2008, 05:44 #6

I posted these photos 5 or so years ago, when we had a thread discussing the variants of M18/36/40/43. I can't find that thread anymore.
The civil defense helmet is the one on the upper right.
Helmets 1, 2, and 3 are "Type I", with a gentle notch in the transition from the visor to the neck guard, and rounded corners at the front of the neck guard. 
Helmets 4 and 5 are "Type II", with a noticeably straighter transition from a very pointy visor to the neck guard, and sharper corners.

Helmet 6 is a "Type III", with a very pronounced notch in the transition from a very broad visor to a very rounded neck guard, so much so that it does not sit flush on a flat surface like the other two models, instead balancing on two points about 5 cm behind the corners of the neck guard. It is also noticeably narrower in the crown than the other two models.
Personally, I am still hoping that Frank will someday show us a side-by-side comparison of an "A" marked M18 shell with a "B" marked shell. Of the helmets I've personally come across, only the ones that had smooth paint have been size-marked and serial numbered; and of those, I've only seen "A" marked ones. To this day I remain uncertain whether the "B" shells are visually distinguishable from the "A" shells.

Update 4/2/2017: There is indeed a visual difference between a "B" shell and an "A" shell, many examples of which can be seen on the World War Helmets website. However, I still have not managed to acquire one, even though Frank had tried very hard to find one for me before his passing. They seem to be much rarer than the official figures would suggest.
Last edited by Sanglier Matricule on 03 Apr 2017, 02:53, edited 2 times in total.

Guisan

04 Jun 2008, 06:17 #7

It's most of the older helmets that have the A and B size indication, the books say so and I never dug much into it but I'll see if I can find a B.

Update; no luck all A's or refurbished ones that had new paint over serials and size.

Guisan.Image
Last edited by Guisan on 04 Jun 2008, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

amafrank

04 Jun 2008, 17:58 #8

First of all thanks to all involved, this info is not as simple to find as some and its nice to know the details.

Here is a link to my photobucket site with the helmet photo's. I don't think there are any passwords required.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/ ... k/Helmets/

Here are a couple pics of the CD helmet along with the M43.

First is the grey CD helmet right rear

Next the inside for the liner view and the serial (in red)

Next both helmets from the front

and last the same from the sides

I hope the photobucket pics are viewable. The M71's are there along with the M40/43's and the para helmet that I think is brit.

thanks guys

Frank in Indiana

Guisan

05 Jun 2008, 13:28 #9

Nice pics and yup no problems with photobucket, your M42 is a motorbiker one, English liner and Swiss finish.

Guisan.Image

amafrank

05 Jun 2008, 15:15 #10

Thanks Frank,

Nice to know thats an M42 and from the homeland too....

Frank in Indiana